Roguelike Browser Boiler plate
A downloadable template
I've taken care of the annoying stuff so you can save hours of dev time and start with the groundwork of your roguelike game already laid. Things like title screens, menus, touch input, sound effects, mobile device testing and tileset graphics integration are already done for you.
Included in the package is a minimal playable roguelike with source code, assets, sounds, screens, UI, and clear documentation to get you up and running quickly. There's also a series of screencasts showing you how to customize the boilerplate to make your own game. Everything is completely customizable so all you need to do is bring your ideas and start making.
I've had a lot of fun making games and playing them with my friends over the years, and I had a lot of fun building this boilerplate too. I hope you enjoy using it to make your game and play it with your friends, and I look forward to seeing your game!
- A fully playable minimal graphical roguelike with source code.
- A license to use it for a personal or commercial project.
- A 46 page PDF guide to building your game using the boilerplate.
- Level generation, rooms, scenery, item boxes, inventory, and an example monster implementation.
- Splash, start screen, credits, instructions, and settings screens, menus, pixel styled UIs, and instructions on how to change the look to make them your own.
- Working win/lose condition and screens.
- A retro pixel tileset from kenney.nl with instructions on how to modify it or use your own graphics.
- A retro pixel UI style from NES.css with instructions on how to modify it or use your own styles.
- Sound effects generated from sfxr.me with instructions on how to change them.
- Juicy game-like CSS animations.
- Works on mobile devices and touch screens.
- A YouTube tutorial walking you through how to edit everything (currently filming this!).
- BONUS: pointers and tips to turn your game into a mobile & desktop binary for app stores
You can play these games which were made with this boilerplate to get an idea of what kind of game you can make with it.
- Play the example game included with the boilerplate.
- Get Asterogue, a sci fi roguelike set in the interior caverns of an aseroid.
- Play Central Park Nanotech Warlex set in a post-apocalyptic future.
Video tutorial screencasts
- A first look at the default game
- Customising the title and user interface
- Customising the graphics and tileset
- Adding 8-bit sound effects
- Making your own maps
Web app templates are often priced in the $20 - $1000 range, but I wanted to make this accessible to roguelike game developers like myself at a reasonable price. If you're not completely satisfied with your purchase please make contact and you will get a full refund.
PS Don't forget to bookmark this page for the 7 Day Roguelike competition!
In order to download this template you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $50 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Minimum Viable Roguelike Tiles22 days ago
- Update with some fixes and improvements94 days ago
- Made a gamejam game with RBB94 days ago
- Screencast: how to customize the tileset graphics99 days ago
- Launch day hooray!Aug 21, 2020
- A walkthrough of the gameAug 20, 2020
- Getting ready for releaseAug 19, 2020